RV Rules, Regulations, and Road Restrictions


Cy Wood

Favorite Trip

Home Base

Favorite RV

About Contributor

Recreational vehicles come with a variety of RV rules, regulations, and road restrictions. From bridge height clearances to allowable cargo weights, it’s important to know where you’re going and what kinds of road restrictions to be prepared for along the way. 

It’s not feasible to document every single state rule, regulation, and road restriction for motorhomes and travel trailers here. Instead, this post will help guide you in what to research so you, your passengers, and your RV travel safely.

(This post is NOT intended as legal advice—be sure to check the most up-to-date local, state, and national rules and regulations before heading out on the road!)

RV Road Restrictions for Length, Width, and Height

large RV road rules

Traveling across the country can get tricky because rules and regulations vary by state. The length of your trailer or motorhome, for example, can go from legal to illegal, just by passing over an imaginary line in the road. 

Remember that RV length is different than trailer length. An RV is a drivable recreational vehicle and a trailer is anything towed behind a vehicle with an engine, which can include travel trailers, fifth wheels, Happier Campers, toads, boat trailers, and more. 

Maximum underpass heights vary from 13.5 to 14 feet, but you’ll still need to be aware of where these are on your route in the event of an exception to the rule. Maximum legal lengths for RVs vary from 40 to 50 feet, but this doesn’t include the length of a toad or trailer towed behind your RV.

It also doesn’t apply to the combined length of two vehicles, such as when you’re towing a travel trailer or fifth-wheel. When you add a towable (a boat or travel trailer, for example) behind an RV or a truck, you’ll typically be limited to a maximum length of 50 to 65 feet, depending on the state. 

When it comes to width, this is actually pretty standard across the entire country. The maximum allowable width for most RVs is between 8 and 9 feet. In most states, the maximum width is  8’6” but there are several exceptions that depend on the width of the roadway you’re traveling on. 

Completely overwhelmed? Don’t be. We recommend installing a Rand McNally GPS system in your RV. Their GPS units have integrated many RV road restrictions and regulations so you can stay updated on the varying heights, lengths, and widths of vehicles allowed on the roads you’re hoping to explore.

While we’re at it, some states also require larger vehicles to stop at roadside weigh scales to ensure they don’t exceed the maximum weight for which the road ahead is designed. Check state regulations to know if you need to stop at scales along your route.

Licensing Rules and RV Regulations

Photo by Brian A Jackson via Shutterstock

The most important thing to recognize with RV licensing rules and regulations is that they are state-specific for the most part. You’ll need to adhere to the regulations in the state where your RV is registered, which means you don’t have to go to the DMV to take a special test when you cross a state border. 

In general, unless you’re transporting hazardous materials or driving an exceptionally heavy class A RV, the odds favor your ability to drive an RV anywhere with a standard driver’s license.

But some RVs are big. Like, really big. Bordering on the size of a semi, big. Some states require special licensing if your rig is particularly large (usually in excess of 26,000 pounds) and includes certain safety features (see air brakes). 

Please note that this likely won’t apply to you unless you’re driving one monster of a Class A RV. Also, some states that require a commercial driver’s license (CDL) for vehicles over 26,000 pounds still offer exemptions for recreational vehicles. 

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration sets basic guidelines for vehicles that require a CDL, but some states enforce stricter requirements. In most states, a CDL is only required if your vehicle is used for commercial activity. 

Some states may ask that drivers of larger RVs complete a test to receive an additional endorsement on an existing license. Endorsement requirements vary by state and will depend on your RV’s type, weight, and size. 

So to reiterate, a special license won’t be required to drive most RVs. Still, we recommend checking with your state DMV’s website to make sure you’re following all licensing rules and regulations for driving your specific RV.

Trailer Regulations

double tow rv

If you’re towing a toad, a boat trailer, or really anything behind your RV, you’ll need to be aware of additional towing regulations along your route as well. 

Some states also require that trailers be equipped with safety devices like equalizing hitches, sway control, and independent brake systems. Heavier trailers may also require breakaway brakes. 

This is most common when trailer weight exceeds 3,000 pounds but, again, it will vary from state to state. These devices are all designed to enhance the safety of your trailer and protect other drivers on the road. 

For those towing a travel trailer or fifth-wheel, it’s generally illegal for passengers to ride in the trailer or fifth-wheel during towing. There are, however, several states that allow passengers to ride in fifth wheels as long as the proper safety precautions are in place. 

Once again, you’ll need to examine state regulations for everywhere you plan to travel. Otherwise, you’ll wind up learning about them once you’re pulled over and it’s already too late. 

Parking RV Regulations

Photo by Sundry Photography via Shutterstock

As RVers, we sometimes need an intermediate place between camping destinations to pull over and spend the night. That means we need to be familiar with state, county, and municipal ordinances pertaining to overnight street parking. 

Some cities and states will restrict your ability to parallel park on the street and sleep in your RV overnight. Others forbid long-term RV street parking even if it’s on the roadway right in front of your residential home. 

Designated rest areas on the side of highways and interstates are usually a good bet for overnight RV parking when you are between campgrounds. That being said, you’ll be competing with fellow RVers and semi-truck drivers for space at these locations.

There are also private businesses that allow overnight parking. Examples include Walmart, Cabela’s, Bass Pro Shops, Cracker Barrel, and Costco. There are also select Camping World locations in places like Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina that allow overnight parking. Some Cabela’s locations even have dump stations you can use for a small fee. 

Although all of these businesses have locations nationwide, overnight parking policies are typically subject to manager discretion. For example, many Southern California Walmart locations no longer allow overnight parking. In fact, the number of Walmart parking lots that allow overnight parking has decreased by as much as 20 percent in the last decade. 

In addition to these private businesses, some casinos, travel centers, and public parks allow overnight RV parking. Keep in mind that overnight parking regulations at these locations will be state-specific, so do your homework before relying on them in a pinch. 

RV Road Restrictions for Carrying LP Gas

Photo by Ivanova Tetyana via Shutterstock

Some roadways around the country won’t allow vehicles carrying LP gas to travel between select points. This is especially common on tunneled highways in places like Maryland, Massachusetts, and New York. 

If an accident occurs in a tunnel, having a bunch of vehicles carrying flammable gas sitting next to each other is a recipe for disaster. Even though your RV’s propane system is designed to be very safe while you’re traveling, you’ll still need to take alternate routes to avoid tunnels and other sections of road where transporting LP gas is prohibited. 

Campground RV Rules

firewood at campsite

After all of that, campground rules can seem minor, but they’re still very important. Every campground has restrictions that they’ve put in place to try to ensure the safety and comfort of all their guests.

This includes restrictions on RV length, gathering firewood or bringing firewood from other locations, generator use, quiet hours, how your pets should be handled, and much more.

Generally, most campgrounds will accept RVs from 20 to 40 feet in length. Across the thousands of campgrounds in the U.S., the average permitted RV length is 27 feet. Some locations will allow longer rigs, but longer RVs can typically have more difficulty finding accommodating campgrounds. 

Campgrounds and national parks that restrict carrying in non-local firewood aren’t just going for a cash grab. Firewood can carry invasive species that spread to new areas through RV travel. It’s one way that the Emerald Ash Borer got around, which has been wreaking havoc on ash trees across the country.

Most campground quiet hours are between 10 p.m. and 6 p.m. and generator use is also prohibited during these hours. However, national parks tend to be stricter on these hours and some don’t allow generators at all. So be sure to check with your campground host for their specific rules before assuming standard hours for quiet and generator use. 

In terms of pets, you can generally expect campgrounds to require that your pets remain on a leash when they leave your RV. Six feet seems to be the maximum acceptable length for pet leashes, but some pet-friendly campgrounds may allow longer runs for pets hanging outside of RVs. 

Otherwise, expect campgrounds and national and state parks to restrict things like glass containers and fireworks. And while it should go without saying, we’ll say it anyway: if it’s illegal, don’t bring it with you.


Photo by Tsalvit via Shutterstock

Please keep in mind that most of these rules, regulations, and road restrictions have been put in place in the interest of protecting your safety as well as the safety of your passengers and other drivers on the road. Failure to adhere to RV rules, regulations, and road restrictions will have consequences. 

It could result in fines or even the loss of driving privileges in the case of serious or repeated offenses. For campground rules and parking regulations, you may end up having to relocate before you’re ready to do so. 


Some of these rules may apply to your rig, and some may not. If you have questions, the experts at Camping World will be happy to help outfit you with a rig that meets your every need—and the rules of every state in which you intend to travel.

NOTE: This article has been edited to clarify some language regarding special licensing.

  • Comment (78)
  • Carrie says:

    If you park on side street near where you used to stay and the police tag your RV with a 72hour.i was told if you move it 30feet They can’t do anything to you.

    • Hi Carrie,

      I want to be clear that this can vary greatly depending on location. I wouldn’t take this as a blanket suggestion for all cities/counties. Policies on overnight parking will vary based on where you’re trying to park.

      Hope that helps!

  • Tony Well says:

    Can I park my RV (25′ long by 11′ Hight on my back yard in the City of Miami (Miami 21 regulation)?

    • Hi Tony!

      Your state or county office would be the place to check on something like this. Keep in mind that HOA regulations may differ from state or county regulations too. So if you live in an HOA, you’ll want to check their rules as well.

      Good luck!

  • Hey there I am so happy I found your blog page, I really found you by accident, while I was
    researching on Askjeeve for something else, Regardless I am
    here now and would just like to say cheers for a remarkable post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse
    it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so
    when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

  • Tag Gross says:

    Do I need a license plate on my trailer if I’m never going to poet on a public Road in Arizona? If it’s parked permanently why do I need plate?

  • Tom G says:

    We reside in Tennessee and were recently at a campground in North Carolina. A couple there have a Class A diesel pusher just like ours. Theirs is 2017 ours 2019. Both have a GVWR of 31,400. We were talking about things and they mentioned having to get an endorsement on their DL for an RV with air brakes. I told him that, I did not think TN had such a requirement. After I got home, I downloaded the regular Dl requirements/limits and the CDL manual. A regular DL seems okay up to a GVWR of 26,000 and seems to indicate that over that, you need a CDL. HOWEVER, looking at the CDL Manual, page 1-7
    1.5 – Exemptions
    Exemptions from Commercial Driver License: the following drivers are not required to obtain a CDL in Tennessee:

    4. Operators of recreational vehicles.

    So, there it is: exemption #4 excludes RV vehicles operators.

  • Dennis says:

    I am retiring in December. Mama and I have decided to do the full time thing. I just renewed my Class A and thanks to you, I didn’t give it up. If you can drive legally in your home state, you are legal in all 50. If you change your home state for taxes, registrations etc., then you are bound by the laws of that state. After 40 plus off and on years of semi driving, nothing surprises me. Be careful out there, seems some have no regards for your or their own personal life. Lets go RVing!!!!!

  • James Becker says:

    This is an interesting article. However, I am a little surprised how many people guess or shoot from the hip when adding their “Two Cents”. Many of the folks making contributions have the idea that if there is a certain licensing requirement where they obtained their license it must be that way in all states. WRONG. I just retired after 25 years in law enforcement in Florida. Some states require a special endorsement for their license depending on the type, weight, or size of their RV. A regular commercial driver license is not required unless working commercially or getting paid for passengers. Florida requires “Only” a regular driver license for non-commercial vehicles under 26001 pounds or “ANY” RV. Yes, “ANY” RV regardless of size or weight. That statement is printed on the back of every Florida driver license. It might be a little scary, but a 95 year old man who has never driven anything but a VW bug can walk into an RV dealership, purchase a 45 foot diesel pusher, and with his regular Florida driver license, legally drive it off the lot. So, before you “Shoot from the hip”, or believe everything you read, check the driver license requirements for the state your license was issued. If you have met the license requirements for your state you are legal in all the other states, regardless of that states’ license requirements for its residents. Now or course, depending on your own experience, it is a good idea to attend a driving course for your particular rig so you are not a danger to yourself, your family, or other drivers on the road.

  • Walter says:

    Being forced to buy local wood is a cash grab; the invasive species bit is just an excuse.
    If it were true they would have armed police checking every vehicle for wood containing invasive species.
    People have been burning there own wood for a while and nature still continues to live on.

  • Sam Ahern says:

    I’m still confused … if I meet the Drivers License requirements in my home state, do I have to research and obtain different license classes or endorsements for driving in other states if their requirements are more stringent? Or do the rules of my home state control?

  • James S. says:

    But, your state may require you to have a non-CDL drivers license to operate an RV over 26k. Usually just requires the writen portion of the test. My instructor explained that to me during my CDL- A classes.

  • Eric van mieghem says:

    Sorry for typos or errors , english is not my mother language ,
    Being from Belgium our family plan in the next years to do a road trip coast to coast and as such plan to RENT a RV .
    Now every site says no issues you can rent , yeah .. my Belgian driving licence limits me to a … yeas start to cry 3500Kg , 7000lb max weight , that would permit me to rent a motorized kennel ! ( joking ) anything 36ft or longer woudl be excluded
    Can anyone tells me more about renting situation ?
    Thx a lot in advance and have a nice trip

  • Gregg says:

    Everyone always wants to talk drivers liscence -vs- weight. After reading half the comments I decided to put in my 2 cents.

    Here is what I have. I have a class-B,M-1 with air brake endorsement and a non-commercial towing endorsement to tow any non commercial trailer between 100001 lbs to 15000 lbs. The towing endorsement is a free test you take at the DMV. The Class-B is a commercial liscence and of course the M-1 liscence is for my Harley. If I tow anything above 150001 lbs I must get a Class-A non-commercial liscence. I would have to look it up but I think the difference between commercial and non-commercial (without stating the obvious) is how often you are required to get a medical exam. I know commercial is typically every 2 years or every year if you have an issue like diabetes or anything else on the DMV’s list.
    The max combined length cannot exceed 65 ft. And don’t quote me on the following; but max width is 8 ft with a 6″ allowance for things like lights, mirrors, fold in hand rails….. and stuff like that. Max length on a motorhome without getting a cdl must be under 40′.

    So many things to look up. But I think you get the just of it. The best thing to do for anyone currently or getting ready to RV is Google the DMV for wherever you drivers liscence was issued from, download their most current manuals (California has more than 2 you will need to read) and see for your self what you need to do to be legal on the road.

  • Brian Locke says:

    The 26 K weight is very out dated, just about anything over 36 ft is 26K, and states also have lenth limits, and I am quite sure you have seen something towing the Trailer, then behind that, a bout. Every state has its laws, so you really need to check up on your states laws, and it is very adviseable to the states you will be driving in. Personally, I have Class A, and I asked MN, and FL (which is where im from now) and both troopers said they don’t bother with RVs, but I am sure since I said that, there will be lots of posts of people claiming to either been stopped or knew of someone that was stopped.

  • Laura says:

    We just purchased a used Class C. A sticker inside the cab states that it is 10 feet wide. I haven’t gone out to measure it after looking at this chart, but I will. If it really is 10 feet wide what do I need to do?

  • Walt says:

    Do any states require you to cross the weight scales in a travel trailer, fifth wheel or motor home?

  • Tim says:

    To my knowledge of dealing with dot in texas as a holder of class a cdl. 10,000 lbs or more is considered a commercial vehicle. If 4 tires on rear then it is possible to be cited for not keeping up with your times you start driving and stopping. Depending on who wants to press the issue. Then you got a national law that requires any vehicle over 26,000 is considered a commercial vehicle. You also have laws of states require you to have a class a, b, c cdl which is broken down in class depending on weight you haul. And air brakes is also considered a endorsement on your liscense. Which you have to take a test for it. Many states have different laws so it would be great if all had same laws . But cities and counties vary too by laws. A operator can just hope he’s doing everything right cause the laws are way too many to remember and that’s why they do that so they make big time dollars off the trucks and or commercial entities. Get a fine of 1,100.00 for overweight makes you want to do your home work. Rvs are exempt in lots of states from the fmcsa laws but the ones that dont except is the ones to stay away from.

  • Michael R lindwall says:

    Hi live in California and I have a 31′ Bouder gas engine. And I’m planning on towing either my utility trailer or a car dolly with our Honda Accord. So with that said, I may be over the 26,000 lbs. Or close to it and to just cover my ass I’m thinking I better get a non-commercial endorsement. Can anyone that has this endorsement from California DMV tell me what to expect, I.e. is there a driving portion to complete, a physical walk around the rig with an instructor, etc. My second question is how do I apply for a non-commercial class A , since I’ve never seen them state NON-COMMERCIAL?

  • LameBear says:

    If I am not totally mistaken, the Constitution requires that all states must recognize all other states.
    If you have a ‘driver’s license’ from one State, all other States must recognize that license, even though the requirements are different. Also, If it is legal and licensed in one State, all other States must recognize that license since if it is licenses in a particular State, it is “part of that State”. If it is “legal” and “licensed” in Wyoming, all other States must recognize that and cannot expect you to “substantially change” your vehicle to meet ‘their’ standards.
    The reason that some States get away with motorcycle handlebar height requirements is that it is not a “substantial change” to change the height of the handlebars.

  • Weiht of Rv is over certain weight you are required to have a cdl, just a bus is to have a class b license,

  • Charles Pierce says:

    I retired from driving a tractor trailer and have had a CDL since they were first required. Not only does my insurance company give me a discount because I carry it but in some states I’m allowed to use truck only lanes if I want to. My Class A and tow dolly with a car on it grosses over 26,000 pounds.

  • Get a class B van and stop worrying about it. I can park and go anywhere. No more A’s or diesel pushers for me.

  • Mike Brennee says:

    Question is not about laws but about trailer height. My 21 footer is 9 feet high. Are most gas stations able to accommodate this height?

  • Scott says:

    The article is vauge. But it seems to me it is meant to be that way. There are far to many laws to possibly go through in a short article let alone multiple volumes of large books. The real message here is …Be responsible. If you don’t know, find out. If you are here then everything you need to know is just a google search away. Being prepared is not just having the things you need for an emergency. Being prepared is knowing how to avoid an emergency. If you have that down then the only emergencies you will encounter will be that of others.

  • Anonymous says:

    My question is in regards to safety belts. Does every person need to be belted. Can children ride in the front .and at what age is a booster seat not required.

  • Jeff says:

    Where can equalize hitch requirements be found by state?
    My rig is 18,000 GCVWR with a F250 towing a ball hitch flatbed.
    Thank you.

  • Anonymous says:

    I was stopped in Tucson.Az a couple tears ago & had to pull my breakaway switch and then was told to move my fiver could not do without sliding tires so my brakes passed, was surprised cop knew what he was doing.

  • Anonymous says:

    I live in Ca and yow a fiver I had to get a non-com Class A at dmv (no physical,just a medical quesrionerre to fill out)

  • Jim Craig says:

    Your article implies that CDL won’t be required for most towed RV’s because they are less than 10,000 pounds—but it is the lack of commercial activity that exempts us.

  • Jerry Workman says:

    Peter read the article again it was pretty plain to me what was said about the CDL …

  • If you’re going to give advice, make sure it’s accurate. With only 2 or 3 exceptions, private use of RVs do not require a CDL. CDLs are just for commercial activity. You make it seem like it’s very likely that you’ll need a CDL.

  • Penny says:

    I thank you so much for this reply! My big brother drives semis and I was on the verge of asking him this question but you beat me to it! Thank you, again

  • Tomas Flores says:

    Peter read these words and see if your RV is over 26K or not .

    “Some states require some kind of special licensing (not necessarily a CDL) if your rig is particularly large (usually in excess of 26,000 lbs., or heavier). Please note that this likely won’t apply to you unless you’re driving one monster of a Class A RV.”

  • G.F. Moore says:

    Texas requires a resident obtain a Class B license for MHs and Towables exceeding a specific GVWR and/or length (I believe).

  • James says:

    I’m thinking on getting a Rv what’s the average monthly payments and I have a class D license is that ok. What’s the full size weight and length allowed with my license.

  • Rosita Alonzo says:

    Even if it do not require CDL, it requires the endorsement and CLASS , but we are still in pre-internet era in most DMV, OR MVA, SO THEY GIVE YOU A CDL., The important thing is to have the CLASS that could be A,B, OR C. that is related to vehicle size, weight, detached , etc. and that requires to be tested or take a driving test with your vehicle…in most states.

  • Lankster Price says:

    Many states now call it “noncommercial class A or B” and more testing is needed to bring a drivers lic to a level. A endorsement for some is all thats needed (take a test). Not all states are the same but from what I see the DOT and the FMCSA is forcing states to come to a safer standard for everyone. Do you want someone that can’t even drive a car to drive something as big as a Big Rig? No wants that. So the test is a basic understanding and some will pass it very fast and other will have to learn more.

    Links bellow:
    FMCSA: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/


  • Chuck Ford says:

    Wow. I didn’t get that at ALL. I even went back and re-read the Driver’s License section and STILL don’t see where you would get that it was made to seem mandatory. Mr. Wood, great article. Thank you for the solid information.

  • Kay says:

    Actually you’re incorrect Peter, MOST Class A RV’s require a special license in NY, each state is different.

  • Tom says:

    While it is Not Widely Enforced, it is a Federal Law, as stated, that ANY Vehicle over 26,000 lbs, certainly is required in Every State, to have at least a Class B Non-Commercial Operators License. The Minute you get into an accident, is when you find out, that you not Only get a Citation, but your Insurance MAY, at Their Discretion, NOT Cover you, at all, and Deny a Claim! A Simple Speeding Ticket, with a Law Enforcement Officer, can leave you sitting on a Road, or Impounded Vehicle (Now your Homeless) until you find a Class B Non-Commercial Operator to Drive it for you! Good luck on that! Many are Ignorant on these Facts! Don’t be THAT Person, it just may Spoil your trip, or worse, if you are a Full Timer! Get That License! Here in PA, it’s a Simple Driving Test! The Biggest Hassle for us, is you have a Class B Non-Commercial (or Greater rating) Driver with you, at that time of your test! Why Risk any Hassle?

  • Kevin Lizak says:

    Peter, Some states have a restriction on the size you can tow without a CDL, personal or not.

  • Guy Anthony says:

    Not true Peter… if the total GVWR of vehicle, or vehicle and trailer is over 26,000 lbs a CDL or a Class A (non-CDL) is required to operate/tow RV.

  • Cy Wood says:

    Hey Peter, apologies that the article didn’t state that clearly enough. It says that it won’t apply to the majority of RVs, and I’ve added a few extra clarifying words to help put it more into perspective. Thanks for reading and for pointing that out.

  • Tim says:

    It’s not the frame or chassis, it’s the gross of the super C and trailer. If it’s less than 26,000 and not hauling hazardous materials a regular license is fine.

  • Zed says:

    I live in ny and have driven a class A for 20 years with a regular license. But my vehicle doesn’t weigh over 6 tons (12000 lbs).

  • Dennis Sheggrud says:

    A driver with a Class D license can now operate a personal use vehicle (for example a rental vehicle or a recreational vehicle or RV) with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle that has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more, but the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of the two vehicles together must be 26,000 lbs. or less.

    Note: The requirement for an “R” endorsement (Class D or Class E license) to operate a recreational vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more remains in effect.
    Under a New York State law that took effect on July 26, 2005, the DMV eliminated the Non-CDL Class C license. In addition, the gross vehicle weight rating and gross vehicle combination weight rating of vehicles that a driver can operate with a Class D license increased.

  • Rosalie says:

    I have a 22,000lb Class A and live in NY with a standard driver’s license.

  • william skrobacz says:

    and bigger rigs must use the turnpike in pa, at an enormous cost. I was told by a full-timer to avoid pa if you got a big rig

  • TimH says:

    No, you don’t need a tag on your “house.” Take it on the road and it becomes a trailer, which requires registration in AZ.

  • Virg says:

    James you are right. Check your state. I am just checking this out. In WA if it was made as a BUS and you turn it into a RV, it is still a BUS and you will need a CDL . At this time this is my understanding and I will be doing more research

  • Frank says:

    Dont need a cdl in texas, need a class A which is dif than a cdl.

  • Christian Boccone says:

    William … how does the “R” affect Air Breaks? Will they make a CDL a requirement? . I’m considering making a Skoolie and they are >26K Lbs and Air Breaks mostly.

  • Wade Thiel says:

    Hi James, you can get an RV for as little as $99 per month. It just depends on what you want. Head into your local Camping World dealership and you should be able to find an option that fits your budget and needs.

  • Lankster Price says:

    If you drive on a posted road that is posted DO NOT ENTER you can get a ticket.
    If you drive over the posted speed limit in that state you get a ticket.
    You have to follow the basic rules & limits as posted by that state. Again only “POSTINGS AND LIMITS” Just like you would in your car. Stop, Go, yield, Wieght limit, to tall, to long, RV must turn and so on. Basic limits.

    If the state says there residents have to take a test or do this or drive that. This does not pertain to out of states drivers. Thats what they must do to get a lic. Some states will post things like out of states visitors must comply with laws, postings and limits.

    Most states follow this:
    Visitors Driving in California:
    You must abide by California rules for visiting drivers when traveling to the state. Most visiting driver requirements apply in California as well as the rest of the U.S. The state of California has certain driver’s license requirements for visiting foreigners who wish to use a drivers license during their time in the state. In CA, the rules for visiting drivers do not require you to hold an International Driving Permit (IDP). Instead, you may use your drivers license from your home state or country. In California, visitors older than 18 years of age may operate a vehicle as long as they hold a valid drivers license. Using an expired or otherwise invalid foreign drivers license is against the law. Traffic laws vary from state to state, and it is best to familiarize yourself with visiting driver rules whether you are visiting California from a different country or simply from a different state. Find out everything you need to know about CA foreign visitors driving requirements and rules for U.S. citizens from other states to be aware of in the sections below.

    California drivers license requirements for visiting foreigners to be aware of is that California does not consider an IDP to be a valid license.

    Road Rules and Visiting Driver Requirements in California:

    >You cannot use a cell phone without using a hands-free device in California. This includes texting or holding a phone to talk.

    >California does not allow you to use a headset, ear plugs or headphones in both ears while driving. Using a hands-free device in one ear is acceptable in most cases.

    >One of the most important visiting driver rules is that the vehicle you operate while visiting CA must be insured. You must ensure that any vehicle you drive, including a rental vehicle, has valid insurance documents.

    >The license plates from a foreign or out-of-state jurisdiction are valid and up-to-date.
    >The vehicle is registered to you or your spouse.
    >You have valid insurance on your vehicle.

  • Lankster Price says:

    Right… you have to always follow the speed and weight laws of each state. If it posted 55 mph max you cant just driver 70 if your state lets you… or if the road is rated at 10 Tons your RV shouldn’t go over that. If your pulling something that out rates your rig you will get a ticket as its unsafe..

  • Lankster Price says:

    The non B is for (Class A motorhome) up to >45 feet max and a trailer under . (not class A motorhomes) Single truck at and over and trailers over 10,000> and over (air brake test and so on )
    ACDL Class B is For 26,001> and over and air brakes..

  • Lankster Price says:

    For CA Class “C”

    Any housecar 40 feet or less (regardless of weight) (No air brake test)
    A Trailer under 10,000lbs, 1000lbs tong
    Over all length – Under 65 feet

    Our RV is 39.8 feet long, 8′.6″ (102″) wide and 42,000lbs and I have trailer at 10,000lbs (52,000lbs max)

    Note: that the 26,001 is not part of this and no other test is needed.

  • Deen Adolophe says:

    Nothing in the Constitution about drivers licensing. The states have all signed a reciprocity agreement to recognize other states laws as well as insurance but not on vehicle equipment and speed laws.

  • Djr Raymond says:

    It was not your campers GVW that caused. Your super c camper is built on a heavy duty truck chassis and not on a camper chassis. The drive train of that camper caused your license problem.

  • Gregg says:

    Hi, I also live in Ca. To get a non-commercial class-a, do the following things.
    1) download all materials you will need. Browse the DMV site and anything reference sing RV and class-a non-commercial.
    2) make an appointment at your local DMV for your drivers WRITTEN test. While there find out where you must go for the drivers test and what equipment you must have with you.
    3) get a medical exam, range around $75.00 – $90.00 2 years ago.
    4) go to the DMV ( by appointment) they recommended for you to go.

    From the time you take your test to the time you take your drivers test you will be issued a permit for (x) amount of days, I think 30. So be prepared from step one.for the size of your rig, I don’t think they will allow you to test in it to qualify for a class-a because it is to small. But you should talk directly to the Dmv for actual information facts.

  • RAY WRIGHT says:

    Yes, there is. They expect you to have your medical certificate, pass a vision test, a written test, a walk around and an on the road test. California prints pamphlets on RV requirements and class A and B requirements.

  • Eric says:

    No Class C’s are wider than 8.5 feet. Here is a link to information about RV rules and regulations with a link to size limits of the U.S. states https://blogcw.local/rv-basics/rv-rules-regulations-and-road-restrictions/

  • james says:

    in arkansas if it weighs more than 26001lbs or has airbrakes you need a CDL to drive it n I think Texas is the same

  • Tom Meyer says:

    I thought that info was very clear.

  • Anonymous says:

    Cy you are absolutely right. A few years ago, I had a Super Class C and I had to have a CDL because of GVW’s exceeded 26k. This would also apply to trailers if the GCWR exceeds 26k. I have a Ram 2500 with a 30 ft Airstream. My GCWR is about 20k, but with a 1 ton and heavier trailer, the 26k could be approached. The only thing where “Commercial” would not come in effect would be CDL hours of operation and electronic monitoring requirements.

  • Anonymous says:

    Do u rent RVs

  • Anonymous says:

    That is correct along with NC and SC. SC even breaks it down to Class E if the motorhome is over 26,000 and Class F is the tow and towed is over 26,000. SO if you drive a 22,000 lb motorhome and tow a 4,001 towed vehicle, then you need a Class F. Most dealers will not tell you this and most don’t even know it. But if you are in a bad accident where it is your fault and your are over the limit without have a proper class of license, your insurance carrier may not pay your claim or the other person’s claim because you are basically driving without a license. So check your GVWR on both units and make sure the GCWR is not over 26,000 lbs.

  • William Steenbergh says:

    Not true, it varies from state to state. In NY, you get an R endorsement on your drivers license for RVs overhere 26,000 pounds.

  • Cy Wood says:

    Thanks for the question, Mike. It seems that the average height for many gas station canopies is 14 feet. HOWEVER, that’s not to say they can’t be much, MUCH shorter than that. I recommend having a spotter with you to jump out of the truck and keep a very close watch while someone starts to pull the trailer up to the canopy. In my own research, I’m seeing folks with taller trailers than yours saying they don’t usually have an issue, but it always pays to be safe.

  • Cy Wood says:

    Hey Scott. Yeah, you nailed it. I could’ve written a book on most of these laws, and by the time it was written, the book would be out of date. But you’re absolutely right: the main point is just to be responsible and be prepared. Thanks for reading.

  • Robert says:

    Not sure how many but some states require a class A non- commercial license if you towing vehicle and RV combination exceeding 26,001 lbs. Texas is one of those states.

  • Anonymous says:

    Commercial has nothing to do with GCWR. You can get in trouble with too light a truck and a mis-matched trailer.

  • Cy Wood says:

    Thanks for the question. It’s my opinion that safety belts are a good idea no matter where you are in an RV–it’s simply safer. As far as the actual laws, it varies state by state. A little over half of our states require that only the two people in the front seat be belted, while just under half require that anyone in an RV be belted. Age also plays a role in who needs (and doesn’t need) to be belted. For the latter half of your question: children can ride in the front as long as they’re properly belted, or in a booster or car seat as required. As far as the age at which a booster seat is no longer required: while each state has its own law regarding a child’s age, most experts suggest that a child use a booster seat until he or she is about 4′ 9″ tall (usually around 8-10 years old). This is usually a sign the belt will restrain him or her appropriately. If you’re interested in the laws, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety offers a state-by-state breakdown here: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/safetybeltuse/mapchildrestraintagerequirements?topicName=child-safety#map

    I do want to reiterate, though, that safety belts do save lives, and when you’re traveling in an RV it’s a good idea to stay belted no matter where you are in the rig.

  • Cy Wood says:

    Hi Jeff. There aren’t a ton of states that require hitch equalizers, but you can find a list of those that do and their stipulations here: https://www.tripsavvy.com/state-regulations-regarding-trailers-505120

  • Anonymous says:

    Lol… you were surprised the cop knew what he was doing? Perhaps he was a commercial enforcement officer? I’m a truck driver. I support more education for the RV people. Please watch your trailer every 10 seconds.

  • Anonymous says:

    Jerry is right. You need to read the post again Peter.

Leave Your Comment

Shop By RV Type

Your Adventure Awaits

Join our email list and stay up-to-date on the latest news, product innovations, events, promotions, and lots of other fun updates.
By checking this box, you expressly authorize Camping World to send you recurring automated promotional marketing text messages (e.g. cart reminders) to the telephone number entered, which you certify is your own. Consent is not a condition of purchase. Reply HELP for help and STOP to cancel. Msg. frequency varies. Msg. & data rates apply. View Terms & Privacy.
By checking this box, you expressly authorize Camping World to send you recurring automated promotional marketing text messages (e.g. cart reminders) to the telephone number entered, which you certify is your own. Consent is not a condition of purchase. Reply HELP for help and STOP to cancel. Msg. frequency varies. Msg. & data rates apply. View Terms & Privacy.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Warning: Undefined array key "status" in /www/campingworldblog_498/public/wp-content/plugins/amazon-s3-and-cloudfront-pro/classes/pro/integrations/elementor.php on line 172
Scroll to Top