Dan and Lindsay McKenzie were on their way to living the “American Dream”, with the dream house, cars, and jobs, when they got bad news. Instead of letting it rule them, they decided to take a detour and choose to look at life from a new perspective. Now, they’re following their detour (and documenting every step via their blog Follow Your Detour), and encouraging others to hit the road as well. They talk with us about what led them to find their own path, helping others get out of debt, and what the future looks like for Follow Your Detour.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 3:50 – The changes they made to get out of debt.
- 8:17 – What it took to get them on the road full time.
- 10:56 – Experience vs. things.
- 13:25 – What a day’s work looks like in the RV.
- 15:35 – The way their program has changed others’ lives.
- 17:45 – Where will Follow Your Detour go in the future?
- 22:35 – How they choose where they’re going next.
- 25:57 – Maintaining relationships on the road.
- 29:10 – Their favorite road stories.
Advice from Dan and Lindsay
- There will always be detours in life. Working through struggles can be some of the best opportunities for growth. It’s all about your perspective.
- Once you get your fears out of the way, you’ll be moving towards your dreams.
- When you transition to RV life, try to use your money to buy experiences more than things.
- It is so easy to connect with people online and in person in the RV community. Everyone is looking to belong and be a part of something. You’ll get invited to a lot of campfires!
- Make lemonade out of life’s lemons.