Snacks are an important thing on a camping trip. You’re going to be spending a lot of time outdoors being active and you need to make sure you’re fueling and refueling your body as necessary and with healthy snacks. These Hiker Energy Bikes are an excellent way to give yourself a boost.
These are great because you can make them ahead of time and bring them with you on a hike or mountain biking trail. If you get hungry during the trip, you can eat a couple to keep feeling good.
Hiker Energy Bites
This recipe is great because it makes enough to serve between four and six people. That means you can give everyone on your camping trip a snack.
- 20 minutes to prep
- 2 hours to set
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 and 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup almond flakes, lightly toasted and crushed
- Combine oats, cocoa powder, shredded coconut, ground flaxseed, dried cranberries, chia seeds, salt, and chocolate chips in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, and coconut oil.
- Microwave peanut butter mixture for 10-minute increments and stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract to peanut butter mixture.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into the mixture of oats and other ingredients, mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine crushed almond flakes and shredded coconut.
- Make small bite-size portions of the oats and other ingredient mixture and then roll each one in the almond flakes and shredded coconut mix.
- Place each bite-sized piece on a dish or tray.
- Let the bites set up in the refrigerator.
Click here to see more recipes