Sometimes when you’re camping you just want a super savory treat or side dish to help you feel good at the end of a long day. Hiking, fishing, adventuring, and just traveling, in general, can really take it out of you, and there’s nothing like some hushpuppies to set your mood right.
So, when you’re feeling like you need some good homestyle cooking while you’re out traveling around and exploring this beautiful country, make sure to keep around all the ingredients you’ll need to try out this Happy Camper Hushpuppies recipe.
Happy Camper Hushpuppies
You can serve four people with this recipe, giving them another reason to love being at the campground.
- 10 minutes of prep
- 10 minutes to cook
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup finely minced white onion
- 1 medium zucchini or summer squash
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mix the egg and milk in a bowl and then set it aside.
- Finely dice up the zucchini or summer squash and mince the white onion combine in a bowl.
- Add cheese, self-rising flour, and cornmeal and mix all ingredients.
- Combine the egg and milk mixture with the other ingredients.
- Heat oil in the pan to 365 degrees.
- Fry clumps of the mixture in the oil for 3 to 5 minutes, making sure to turn them at the halfway point.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Click here to see more recipes.