Growing up in a big family of 9, Mary reminisces fondly on childhood breakfasts of smashed avo(cado) on toast. For this simple but tasty recipe, Zach and Mary crisp up some wild boar to go alongside the zesty toast topped with arugula and egg. Serves 4.
Come join us for The Great American Cookoff. Shop cooking supplies and accessories and kick off your summer right.
- Wild boar bacon from Mossy Oak Gamekeeper Butchery
- Fresh home baked Italian bread
- Olive oil
- Pepper & salt
- Paper towels
- Cayenne pepper
- Fresh garlic
- Balsamic glaze
- Bloody Mary olives
- Zin Zang – Bloody Mary mix
- Vodka – Tito’s
- White vinegar
- Coleman cooler
- Pitcher (large)
- Pre- Heat griddle to 350. Place wild boar bacon on griddle and cook until golden brown. Let rest on paper towel for grease.
- Boil hot water in saucepan until boiling (bubbling). Add vinegar and stir with spoon in circular motions. Add eggs to swirling hot water by placing them on spoon and slowly releasing them into the swirling water. Leave until cooked (whites are hard).
- Slice Italian bread and toast until Golden. When toasted, spread butter on toast and rub the half of a garlic clove on top of the butter.
- Halve the avocado and with a fork smash it down on toast. Make sure the entire slice is covered in smashed avocado.
- Squeeze half a lemon over avocado on toast then Drizzle with olive oil.
- Lift eggs from water in spoon with strains (so no water residue left).
- Place eggs on avocado toast. Crack sea salt & black pepper on eggs. Garnish with arugula and drizzle the balsamic glaze around plate for tasting and presentation.
- Serve with Siracha for extra spice!
Mary’s ‘Ava Maria’ Bloody Mary!
- Chill Bloody Mary Mix and Vodka in Coleman cooler on ice.
- Pour entire Bloody Mary mix into Pitcher. Pour Tito’s (taste to liking. I poured 3 quarters of 750 ml).
- Add cracked pepper, 1 whole lime juice, 1 whole fresh lemon juice, cayenne pepper (two pinches), siracha (taste to liking of heat).
- Stir and taste, adding more of what you need as you go (dash more pepper or vodka 😉).
- Fill your glass with some ice cubes. Garnish your toothpicks with Bloody Mary olives, jerky and wild boar bacon.
- Add stick of celery and pour mix into glass. Enjoy!
Avo Toast Instructions
- Slice ciabatta into thick slices.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet on low. When hot, add butter. When butter is melted, place slices of thick-cut bread into the skillet to toast. Flip and toast the other side.
- Remove bread from skillet once golden and toasted. Immediately rub toasted sides of bread with garlic. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combined the flesh of avocado with the juice of lemons and coarse salt. Add cracked pepper and sriracha to taste.
- Prep toast by layering on mashed avocado, then fresh arugula.
- Meanwhile, heat a pot of water to a gentle boil. Poach eggs for 3-4 minutes. Immediately top prepped avo toast with poached egg and serve.