You’ve heard Kelsey Henry talk about growing up roadschooled in an RV. Now, we’re bringing Kelsey back on the podcast, plus another special guest… her mom! Sam chats with Kelsey and Christy Henry about mother-daughter bonds and road trips as they travel in Kelsey’s Honda CR-V for a month! They’ve been from Texas to Florida to Washington, D.C. to Niagra Falls to Toronto to Mackinac Island!
A few things we cover in this episode:
- 1:30 – Hitting the road back in 2005
- 4:30 – Mother-Daughter road trips today
- 8:00 – Highlights of the epic month-long road trip
- 15:30 – Meeting people and making memories on the road
- 21:00 – Advice for mother-daughter travel
- 24:00 – Being considerate to each other on the road
Kelsey and Christy have always been close, but living in an RV for 6 years gave them a special bond that has lasted through the years. They both love to travel and have been on many adventures, from traveling through Europe to van life-ing around the country (wayyy before it was cool!).
Today, they still go on many adventures, including this month-long road trip. Back in the day, Kelsey would tag along when her dad went to conferences. Now, Christy tags along to conferences with Kelsey!
Advice for a Mother-Daughter Road Trip
- Communicate quickly to solve problems and diffuse tension.
- Be considerate of each other’s needs.
- Give space or quiet time when needed.
- Keep plenty of snacks on hand in case anyone gets cranky.
- Discuss what “must-see” places and “must-do” activities you both have on your trip. Make time to do a mixture of both to make everyone happy.
- Be present in the moment. This time together is very special.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Listen to Kelsey talk about growing up in an RV in this previous episode
- Check out pictures of Kelsey’s car camping conversion!
- Read Kelsey’s book Growing Up Roadschooled