In this episode, Sam interviews Sami Womack, the budgeting coach, motivational speaker, + podcaster behind A Sunny Side Up Life. Sami is the wife of her high school sweetheart, Daniel, and a homeschooling momma to their three daughters. This family used to be living paycheck-to-paycheck + drowning in $490,000 worth of debt, but after they hit rock bottom everything changed!
Now that Sami has been able to gain financial freedom for her own family, she helps others do the same. In this interview, she shares her family’s story of becoming debt-free, downsizing their lifestyle, and buying a boat, truck, and camper all in cash by living on a budget.
Sami also has some super easy tips to get started on taking control of your family’s budget. By telling your money where to go, you’ll have more power to spend it on the things you want… like saving up for your dream RV!
What we talk about in this episode:
- 1:20 – Sami’s debt free journey
- 6:40 – Rock bottom moments and obstacles to becoming debt-free
- 10:00 – Homeschooling benefits and family time
- 14:30 – Buying a truck/trailer and future camping plans
- 18:50 – Mishaps and first trip in the camper
- 21:50 – A Sunny Side Up Life origin
- 24:15 – Budgeting and debt free tips
- 27:30 – Sunny Money Method Budgeting Course
- 30:00 – A Sunny Side Up Life Podcast
Tips for paying off debt and budgeting
- The hardest part is overcoming social norms. While your friends are eating out, you’re staying in. They are buying new cars and bigger houses, while you are paying off debt and downsizing. Know that it’s okay to go against the grain of society.
- Know your “why” for paying off debt. This will keep you going when things get hard.
- Set goals to stay motivated. Sami got her husband Daniel on board with budgeting by showing him how they could pay for their boat, truck, and camper all in cash by following a budget.
- Rip that bandaid off and just start looking at your numbers. Most people don’t know how much debt they have or where their money is going every month. Start tracking your money and make a plan to tell it where to go.
- Start with a budgeting challenge to get yourself started. Sami offers a free “Declutter Your Budget” challenge here.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- A Sunny Side Up Life
- A Sunny Side Up Life podcast
- A Sunny Side Up Life Instagram
- A Sunny Side Up Life Facebook
- Your Sunny Money Method Budgeting Course (Save $10 through this link!)