Liz and Ed Wilcox haven’t been on the road long, but they’re no strangers to the RV lifestyle—they lived stationary in their travel trailer full-time for over a year. Now, they’re RV entrepreneurs. In this interview, they talk about the fateful day that led them to their motorhome, some struggles they’ve faced since, and how to keep it all in perspective.
Download Liz’s book, “Tales from the Black Tank: A Collection of Hilariously Crappy Stories,” or keep up with them on their site The Virtual Campground, a community of full-time RVers and dreamers who come together to connect on humor, storytelling, and trends in the RV industry.
Some episode highlights:
- 8:52 – The vision for The Virtual Campground.
- 11:20 – Tales from the Black Tank.
- 21:43 – What drew them to the RV lifestyle.
- 27:42 – Some doubts and worries.
- 31:35 – From stationary RVing to moving.
- 32:51 – Their switch from a trailer to a motorhome.
- 36:51 – How they’ve grown since moving into the RV.
- 41:50 – The experience being entrepreneurs.
- 50:14 – Their advice for new RV entrepreneurs.
- 53:00 – A (bad) story from the road.
- 56:14 – A (nicer) story from the road.
- 1:00:18 – Advice for people on the fence.
Advice from Ed and Liz:
- Get used to regular maintenance. You are subjecting your home to an earthquake every time you go on the road. It’s worth it to get out there and travel!
You don’t need as much stuff as you think you will need. What you own ends up owning you.
- It’s going to take longer than you think to build a business. Do your research. Find something that you want to do, but also makes money. Follow your passion and seek opportunities.
- Just do it. You can always go back to your normal, boring life!
- Talk to people online who are already doing it. Follow other blogs and see how people are making it happen.