From a young age, Kathryn Cockrell has always had an adventurous and entrepreneurial spirit.
She started her business, Happy Hound Pet Sitting at the age of 15, and has been running it for the past 9 years. Through hiring employees and outsourcing, Kathryn was able to start heading off on some serious adventures, including backpacking through Europe and going on mission trips to South America.
After meeting a traveling couple at her local coffee shop, she decided to buy and renovate an Airstream Trailer. When that renovation didn’t turn out as planned, Kathryn didn’t let it get her down. She bought a van and traveled the country for several months with her dog Tansy and now currently lives on a 1985 yacht. Basically, she’s a total boss.
In addition to being a millennial entrepreneur and living on a boat, Kathryn is also a 3rd degree blackbelt in Taekwondo. This experience gives her confidence while traveling around the country and the world. In this episode, Kathryn shares some great tips on solo travel, van life, boat life, and safety on the road.
Some things we covered in this episode:
- 3:24 – Going nomad
- 7:32 – The adventure begins
- 11:30 – Becoming a boondocker
- 16:00 – Death Valley
- 18:27 – Ending the RV trip
- 21:20 – Boat life
- 25:00 – Getting through adversity
- 30:55 – Safety on the road
Kathryn’s tips for safety on the road:
- Be aware of your surroundings and what could potentially make you an easy target (such as when you are getting in and out of your car).
- Get gas in populated areas and make sure there are people nearby when you stop.
- Do not hesitate to leave a situation if someone is making you feel uncomfortable. Get in your car and drive somewhere else.
- If someone comes up to you and you feel threatened, tell them to step away (with as much confidence as you can). Don’t let them control the situation. You are in charge.