Trent and Siobhán are a pair of modern-day traveling minstrels: musicians that travel the country in an RV, playing at churches and living the life they always dreamed of. While that’s a story in itself, theirs is even crazier because they also share the space with their five (yes, five) boys. Host Sam talks to them about just what makes their lifestyle an adventure, as a family, every single day.
Some episode highlights:
- 2:00 – The importance of a schedule with (and without) the kids.
- 3:50 – Balancing music, travel, teaching, parenthood, and everything else.
- 8:20 – Life before traveling in the RV.
- 13:20 – What was at stake for them.
- 18:20 – The best (and most difficult) part of RVing.
- 22:30 – Getting the kids socialized on the road.
- 25:48 – The moments that make it all worth it.
- 33:25 – Upcoming locales.
- 34:08 – The favorite places they’ve visited (recently).
Advice from Everyday Family Adventure:
- Try to do something new every day.
- Once kids get the basics of reading, writing, learning, etc, they can learn so much more out in the world.
It can take a few months to establish a community of traveling friends. It’s one of the best parts of traveling, but you have to be intentional about creating community. Start connecting with other families online before you start RV life.
- It’s amazing to see the growth in your kids and the family as a whole from this experience. They will learn to talk to other kids of all ages and also adults.
- Watch a lot of YouTube videos before you hit the road (and after!)
- Travel slower and enjoy the journey. The RV is the vessel that takes you where you want to go. It’s not about the RV, it’s about the adventure.