As expected, Zach and Mary have a “game plan,” (pun intended) for their innovative lunch recipe. Using a pit boss and pellet grill, the hunting duo cook up a unique creation involving seared bison and “armadillo eggs,” that will hopefully have the judges at The Great American Cookoff going wild.
*Bison Marinade Ingredients
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/3 Cup White Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Lime Juice
- 1/3 Cup Orange Juice
- 4 tsp Minced Garlic
- 3 tbsp Chopped Jalapeno
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro
- 2tsp Salt
- 1tsp Coriander
- 1/2tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- Put meat and marinade in gallon zip top bag. Place in fridge for at least 4 hours.
*Bison Ribeye from GameKeeperMeats.com
Ingredients for Tacos:
- corn tortillas
- green and red peppers
- verde salsa
- authentic mexican cheese (grated)
- lodge cast iron skillet
- treager all game seasoning
- corona beer
- Lightly dust steaks in Totally Wild SMOKED SEASONED SALT.
- Set Grill to 225 degrees with high smoke for 15-20 minutes
- Pull Steaks off and raise grill temperature to 500 degrees.
- Place steaks back on for 1-2 minutes per side or until internal temp is 130degrees.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat cast iron skillet with olive oil on high, Cook bell peppers, onions and fresh garlic on cast iron skillet add in 2 tablespoons of treager seasoning, black pepper pinch and pinch of salt. Cook until sauteed and golden brown.
- warm tortillas on cast iron with butter.
- Grate mexican cheese and present in a taco. garnish with cilatro, lime, salsa and mexican cheese
- Best served with a cold corona and lime!
Ingredients for Jalapeno Duck Poppers, Zach’s “Armadillo Eggs”
- 1 dozen whole jalapeños
- 1 8 oz block of cream cheese
- 2 lbs of Ground duck
- Brown Sugar
Instructions for Jalapeño Duck Poppers:
- Wearing gloves to protect your hands from the jalapeño flesh, halve the jalapeños and remove membrane and seeds. Keep some membrane for extra spice.
- Measure out 1 tsp on cream cheese per popper and spread onto each halved jalapeño.
- Next, use approximately 1 TBSP of ground duck and roll into a ball and form into the halved jalapeños. Use more duck to fill the japlapeno and cover the cream cheese.
- Wrap each jalapeño half with a slice of thinly cut wild boar bacon. Use a water soaked wooden toothpick to keep bacon in place if necessary.
- Pour the brown sugar into a shallow dish. Roll poppers in brown sugar to coat.
- Cook poppers in the pellet grill for 5-7 minutes until bacon Is cooked through. Remove poppers and finish them on the Pit Boss griddle for crispiness.
- Drizzle with honey to serve.