Vietnamese Shaking Beef is seared cubed filet mignon steak sautéed with garlic, onion, butter, and a soy marinade. The beef goes onto a bed of spring mix, watercress (optional), red onions, tomato and/or cucumbers all harmoniously combined in a vinaigrette. Generally served as an appetizer, we like to serve ours with a Singapore-style curried fried rice to make it the main course meal.
Watch The Remingtons make this recipe on Episode 3 of The Great American Cookoff.
- Blackstone flat griddle
- Cast Iron skillet
- Grilling Utensils
- Robert Irvine Knives, Robert Irvine bowls, and cutting board
Ingredients for Bo Luc Lac:
- 1 1/2 lbs. filet mignon or beef top sirloin
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp agave or sugar
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp thick or dark soy sauce, or use low sodium soy sauce
Instructions for Bo Luc Lac
- Trim fat off meat and cube into 1” cubes.
- Add all the seasonings and generously massage into the meat. Let the meat rest until it reaches room temperature.
- Heat the flat grill until smoking hot. Add 1-2 tablespoons of butter and spread the meat on the grill leaving space between each chunk (this prevents the meat from being boiled) or cook in small batches.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes, medium rare. The meat will continue to cook while resting. If it’s windy outside and the grill can’t get hot enough, shake the beef on super hot cast iron.
- Cucumber sliced
- Tomato sliced in larger chunks
- Spring mix
- Red onion
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder
- Make the dressing first and then layer cucumbers, tomato, red onion, and spring mix. Toss salad 15 minutes before serving.
- 2 ½ tablespoon of Bull Head BBQ sauce
- ½ large white onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2.5 tablespoons butter
- 4-5 eggs
- Cook 2 cups of jasmine white rice at 1:1 water to rice ratio leaving rice slightly dry.
- Heat up 17” Blackstone Flattop on full blast. Add butter and spread rice over the entire flattop. Then add the following: garlic cloves, white onion, curry powder, fish sauce, sugar, and BBQ sauce. Use the flat grilling utensils to toss the rice.
- Move rice to the side and crack 4-5 eggs and scramble.
- Once scrambled incorporate the eggs into the rice. Fold in chopped green onions.
Use a small bowl and pack the fried rice. Flip bowl onto a plate. Fan sliced cucumbers and tomato around the edge of a ¼ of the plate. Place mixed veggies beside the rice and add the beef in the well between the rice and mixed veggies.