Looking for something that’s healthy, savory, and tasty? Then you absolutely need to check out this waffles recipe with jalapeno maple syrup. This recipe, featured in Episode 1 of The Great American Cookoff, is something that you can make any time you’re at the campsite or at home.
- Toastmaster Waffle Maker
- Toastmaster Griddle
- Robert Irvine Knives and Cutting Boards were used for every recipe
Ingredients for Waffles:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ¾ cups unsweetened vegan oat milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- pinch of salt
Ingredients For Savory Filling For Waffles
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onions
- 1/2 cup chopped kale or spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 cup Just Eggs or another vegan egg substitute
Ingredients For Jalapeno Maple Syrup Drizzle
- 1 cup organic dark maple syrup
- 1/4 cup hot sauce of your choice. We love jalapeño!
Instructions For Waffles:
- Preheat waffle maker. Whisk the dry ingredients together to remove any lumps or clumps. Add the wet ingredients.
- Mix just enough to combine. Don’t over-mix the batter.
- Spray waffle iron plates with cooking oil. Using a ½ measuring cup, scoop up the batter and pour in the center of the waffle plate. Do not overfill. Close the cover and flip over. Cook until steam stops. Remove and keep warm: Gently remove with the tip of a fork.
Instructions For Vegan Egg Savory Filling:
- Melt vegan butter on a skillet.
- Saute the peppers, onions, and kale until lightly brown.
- Add egg substitute and vegan cheese.
- Cook thru until the cheese is melted.
- Take one waffle and top with the desired amount of eggs.
- Top with another waffle and repeat.
- Drizzle with Jalapeno Maple Syrup and serve warm!
- 8-12 Mandarin oranges chilled. Can also mix types of mandarin oranges like Sumo and Clementine.
- 2-4 Blood or Raspberry oranges chilled
- 1-pint strawberries (room temp cause they taste better that way)
- 1 bottle of Prosecco (you guessed it…CHILLED) For a non-alcoholic version, use sparkling white grape juice.
- Wash oranges. They’re dirty.
- Juice the different oranges and add them together. You will get more juice if the oranges are warm. But then you would have to chill the juice, and I know you can’t wait that long for this drink. Besides, the leftover pulp with its juice is favoloso! Strain to remove pulp and any seeds.
- Wash strawberries and remove the stems. (hulling, it’s called). Add strawberries and orange juice to Nutribullet. Blend or puree until happy. (We’re not the boss of you).
- Pour prosecco into (yep…chilled) Champagne flutes at a 45-degree angle until about half-filled. More or less depending on what type of day you plan to have. Why pour at a 45-degree angle? You lose fewer bubbles. You so silly!
- Top with that delizioso juice you just made…you flavor wizard, you.
After it fizzles down a bit, hit it again with that Prosecco. Full glass = less thirsty.
- Garnish with strawberry and orange slice.
Note: Add your lips to the glass until empty and then go back for some “MoDat” Mimosa! Pair with our Savory Breakfast Waffles.