The RV-egans, 2 Traveling Dogs, are at it again, cooking up a tasty plant-based meal for the judges in Episode 2 of The Great American Cookoff.
A classic riff on grilled cheese and tomato soup, you can’t go wrong with this comfort food classic.
- Aria Air Fryer
- Toastmaster Slow Cooker
- Robert Irvine Knives, and Cutting Boards Were Used For Every Recipe
Ingredients For Pie Dough
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) vegan butter
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
Instructions for Pie Dough:
- Make sure your vegan butter is very cold before starting. Measure 4 tablespoons and add flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. You can use a food processor if you’d like.
- Drizzle in 3 tablespoons of ice cold water and mix lightly. You may need to add 1 more tablespoon ice water for it to come together and bind properly. Don’t overwork the dough.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into a ball. Don’t use your hands too much or it will warm the dough, which will make your pie crust less flaky. Roll the dough with a rolling pin to about a 12-inch circle, Cut into the desired size to fill! It’s now ready to use immediately, or refrigerate until you are ready to use.
Ingredients for Filling:
- 1 cup cubed vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 tomato chopped into small pieces and seeded
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Instructions for Filling:
- Mix all ingredients together!
Instructions for Air Fryer Vegan Caprese Cheese Pies:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Take pie dough pieces and fill with desired amount of filling, being careful not to overfill.
- Place pies into air fryer and set timer for 10 minutes. You may want to flip halfway through.
- Cook until browned and carefully remove.
Ingredients for Soup:
- 2 cans organic crushed San Marazano tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh, chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 4 tablespoons, fresh chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder or fresh, crushed garlic
- Mix all ingredients together and place in the slow cooker. Cook for approximately 2-3 hours on low heat. If you need to cook fast, cook on high!
Assembly for Lunch
- Ladle soup into a soup bowl and place on a larger plate with pie. Sprinkle with fresh, chopped basil and grated vegan parmesan cheese.
2 Traveling Dogs Class Me RV Cucumber Basil Wine Spritzer
- 10-12 Key Limes or about half pound (They tart soooooo, up to you.)
- 4-6 Limes (I’m not an astronaut, but that sounds about right)
- Half a cucumber (it was a big one)
- 2-4 basil leaves (you like basil? Go 4. Not really? Go 2.)
- 1 bottle of good Pino Grigio (Get your eyes off that bottom shelf)
- 1 bottle of flavored sparkling mineral water (grapefruit is great. Lime you say? Don’t you have enough lime already?
- 1 bottle of blood orange italian soda (Blood orange tastes better than it sounds. Can we please change that name?)
- Every ingredient should be chilled. Except if the basil is still on the plant. Your refrigerator is not where plants grow.
- Wash all the limes. (Cause they been touched a lot by who knows who)
- Juice both types of limes. (You do not like juicing those tiny limes, do you? You gonna like them though).
- Strain the juice.
- Wash the cuke. Peel the cuke.
- Slice the cuke. (I just like saying CUKE)
- Pluck the basil off the plant carefully. (Cause I know you have a basil plant). Wash the basil (cause I don’t know where your hands have been.)
- Roll the basil leaves up and chop into smaller pieces. (Rolling it releases the oils).
- Add the basil, cucumber slices, and lime juice to the Nutribullet. Now get on it until it looks super juiced. I like smoothies but this ain’t that. No pieces left.
- Now smell it. Good, right?
- Pour the chilled Pinot Grigio into a big, tall, chilled wine glass about 1/4 of the way. (If you have no class like me, maybe a little more.)
- Take your cute concoction and smell it again just because.
- Pour it in the glass until you have equal parts wine to cuke uice.
- Now look at it. Looks weird, right? I hope you didn’t drink that.
- Top that sad looking drink off with the italian soda and watch the magic happen. When the color changes to delicious, you’ve added enough.
Now for the final touch da Vinci.
- Carefully, take a 1/2 lime peel and flatten it out. Being even more careful, carve out something that kinda looks like an RV. Cut a door into the shape close to the front, and a small window near the back. Take a cuke slice and cut a slit in it to place on the rim of the glass. Cut another slit in to the cuke to hold your lime RV. Just don’t slice it directly across from the first slit or you will just have 2 pieces of cuke. Does this elaborate garnish make the drink taste better? I don’t know, but YES!
No matter what class of RV you have, or if you’re like me with NO CLASS, this drink will bring you class in a glass.